If your company wishes to print cheques for its own use, drawn on the company’s own bank account, you must:

  • Purchase base stock from an accredited printer; a list can be found here
  • Follow the C&CCC Standard 3 requirements. The Standard is available to purchase and details on how to do this can be found here.
  • Use a laser printer from the approved C&CCC/Smithers List. The list of approved printers can be found here.
  • Send in samples to your bank relationship manager for approval to ensure the cheques are meeting requirements.

If your company wants to print cheques for other businesses it must become a member of the Cheque Printer Accreditation Scheme (CPAS).

The key objectives of CPAS are to ensure that the specified quality and security standards for printing cheques are maintained, in order to:

  • Provide a significant prevention measure against fraudulent attack on business and personal cheques
  • Maximise operational efficiency in the cheque clearings.

The scheme requires that all cheques for use in the clearing process in Great Britain are produced by C&CCC-accredited printers. It means there is much greater quality control in the paper, ink, and security features used in cheque production. The Scheme has played a significant part in helping to reduce some types of cheque fraud, namely fraudulent alteration and counterfeit. All accredited cheque printers must be certified to ISO27001 and to C&CCC Audit Standard for Cheque Printers - Standard 55 and are required to print cheques in accordance with C&CCC Standard 3.1 - Automated Processing of Vouchers (Debits), together with Standard 3.3 - Automated Processing of Vouchers (Technical). Further information about these standards can be found here.

The Cheque Printer Accreditation Scheme (CPAS) is open to security printers wishing to produce cheques that go through the GB cheque clearing system. Companies must meet the Scheme’s membership criteria which are specified in the CPAS Rules. Further information can be found here.

Yes. There is an annual membership fee. For further information please contact cpashelpdesk@chequeandcredit.co.uk.

Yes. A list of companies (printers) that are accredited to print cheques can be found here

Yes. C&CCC/Smithers approve a number of printers that are suitable for printing cheques. The list of approved printers can be found here

The C&CCC has developed a set of best practice guidelines that provide detailed information for business users of cheques. These guidelines can be found here.

Yes. The requirements are the same if you are printing a euro cheque, as long as the euro cheque is drawn on a British bank. This means you will need to purchase a copy of Standard 3; details on how to do this can be found here



You should forward a copy of the report to the CPAS help desk and advise us of the scheduled date of your next audit.

Inform the client/bank immediately so stops can be placed on the items. Forward the details to the CPAS help desk, which can advise the industry of the missing serial numbers.

Samples are submitted to ensure that each print run meets the required standards and that items will not be rejected in the clearing.

Yes, these are as important as cheques and a sample of 20 BGCs from each run should be submitted for checking.

Ten cheques should be submitted for checking from every print run.

[You should check with your customer to ensure samples are sent to the correct processor]:

  • iPSL, Blaise Pascal House, 100 Pavilion Drive, Brackmills, Northampton, NN4 7YP
  • Quality Control Section, DXC Technology, Wagendon Business Park, Victory House, Ortensia Drive, Wavendon, Milton Keynes, MK17 8LX

You can pay your fee by cheque, Bacs payment, faster payment or Direct Debit. You can contact the CPAS help desk for the relevant bank account details.

Yes, CPAS and BGC Certified Printers can use the logo. A copy can be obtained from the CPAS help desk.

You should contact the CPAS help desk, so your details can be updated. If the Company is changing name you will need to provide a certificate from Companies House and sign a new legal agreement.

Contact the CPAS help desk – CPAS members receive these free of charge.